Tuesday 3 April 2012

Slow Progress

As we are not due to come out of the water until Easter Saturday, we've taken our time cruising over the ever dreary Middlewich Branch (Shropshire Union Canal).  We've cruised that stretch so many times - and its always the same - windy!  Added to which the 4 locks on the stretch must be some of the heaviest paddle gear on the network.  The ironic thing about it is that the worst lock, Stanthorne Lock, had new gates and paddle gear only a couple of years ago - British Waterways (BW) (as was, they now have a new title that I can't remember) seem to have decided not to do anything about that lock - I've met plenty of boaters who say they've complained to BW about it.

Whilst I'm moaning about locks - Big Lock at Middlewich is another nightmare.  It was the first lock I ever did - back in 2001(?).  The gates have been replaced since then, but they still require an army of strong men to shift them.

I think the photo of Tonni below sums up the last few frustrating days.....

                                      "I don't like locking and I can't finish this crossword!"

No comments:

Post a Comment